Κυριακή 18 Δεκεμβρίου 2022

Dakla, Second day

Seems like the fog is always there in the morning. Part of a wonderful sacred plan of nature to protect and nourrish the plants before the sun starts burning everything. Today the fog was less dense but it is wonderful.

To K.'s dissappointment the wind was still not enough to Kite surf so we needed to find a plan B to spend the day, we knew that we were at a peninsula so the ocean was just behind us. On the map we saw the beach called 'Pointe de l'Or', The Golden Point. The guys from the hotel told us how to go. 
Is there a route? NO
Is there a path? NO
Are there any signs? NO
Just go between these two Electric Towers and go straight until you see a big rock in the middle of the sea. Our arab friend just drew a plan with his finger on the sand. "You will go up between the towers and then you will see the sea and you go straight". It was about one hour walking to get there.
Out of your confort zone once again.
We were told not to walk alone in the desert without a guide because there are vicious stray dogs. One of the locals told us there is no danger.
Out of your confort zone indeed.
Off we go, into the unknown.
Talk about walking in the sand.... It is difficult because your feet go in, just like in the snow. So you walk slowly. At first we thought there is a path but we quickly realised that it is longer to walk in the path and it would be better to cut short in a straight line. 
As we were walking, we saw millions of shells! The desert is full of surprises.
Just go between the towers...
Looking back to the Dakhla lagoon from a distance
We just have to trust the guy who gave us directions. Go up and keep walking. Once you are on top of the hill you see it in a distance. Exactly as he described it. We saw the big rock in a distance and the only thing to do was go towards it. 
The big rock in the distance
One thing I realised, is that perpective does not work in the desert. you think you are close to something but you are not close at all. you walk and walk and walk and you are still not there. So you keep walking! And as you walk, the sand changes consistence, it can be like concrete, it can be soft and fluffy, it can have rocks or be virgin. One thing is sure, it is beautiful. The pictures just cannot show the vastness and the beauty of the place. However, I'm putting some of the pictures I took. 
Big wonderful shells I have seen at museums in Europe. Here you find them walking and take them as souvenirs. No shops here, just the treasures of nature. 
Small traces οf small desert animals... I'm trying to take everything in!
Just before reaching the beach, dogs come barking towards us! I nod to K. to stand still so they would not feel threatened. A guy came out of a hut and called them back. Ouf! We were safe. The spirit of Freeda is next to us. One of the dogs followed us during our visit to the beach, but he never tried to come near us. 
After an hour of walking, we reach the beach. The breathtaking beach. The magestic beach. The divine beach. The big waves and the seagulls and the magic white sand!
I take off my shoes, I put on my swim suit. 
I'm too scared to swim in a sea I don't know. 
I'm a little bit frustrated, but it's ok, I am walking with my feet in the water.
I am in awe. 
We see people arriving to fish. Before becoming the center for kite surf, Dakhla was military and fishing, nothing more. 
 
It was time to go back. On the road back, we realised that there is plastic everywhere, this virgin place spoilt by man. I put on my futa, the sun was burning and it was becoming unbearable. 
When we went back we were hot and hungry. A fresh nurishing salad and a fish plate! Miam miam! 
After a small siesta, we go towards the Kite Surf school to see if the wind will rise in the afternoon. Unfortunately Aeolus, the Greek god of wind, is not by our side. K. starts to be frustrated by the lack of wind. He works himself to reason and he never loses faith. 
The afternoon we returned to the Dakhla lagoon in front of the hotel. The tide is low and we walk a lot to reach the water. there is one guy kiting but the conditions are really not strong enough. 
I indulge in my favorite hobby, collecting shells. My feet are full of sand, my hands are full of sand, the weather is hot on the 3rd of December, I am in heaven!
The day finishes with an evening meal and my eyes are full of images painted white, yellow and blue. I live a second summer after the summer and I am happy, full and grateful.  

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου