Κυριακή 5 Δεκεμβρίου 2010

Roma, Roma

Everything they say is true. Rome is an exaggeration. An exaggeration of antiquity, religion, wealth and art.

The first thing I did after I dumped my luggage in the hostel (remind me next time to take less things with me and travel lighter please!) I headed for the Vatican. It was walking distance from my hostel. No, wait. I fisrt had two slices of pizza near the hostel! Very good. Ok. Now the Vatican. I walk up to the square of St Peter and think I'll get in the church from the left. No, no, no. I have to walk aaall over to the other side of the Piazza, get in line to be checked for weapons and then get into the church.

The verdict. St. Peter's is the epitome of exaggeration. The biggest, the highest, the whateverest. Full of gold, full of marble, full of pope's statues. The only thing that I really admired was Michelangelo's Pieta and it's so small and delicate compared to everything else in the church. he was very young when he made it and it's really beautiful. Other than that, it was the church saying you little people, you better respect us because we are so big and rich... Anyway, I don't want to be too bitchy, all the superstars of the Renaissance made something for that church. Michelangelo and the rest.


And then I walked around. For hours and hours. Rome by night. I followed the crowds to Piazza Navona. It had all the founains and it was beautiful but full of stalls selling stuff for tourists. it was packed with people and I guess the Romans were out too since it's a Sunday.

All Romans go around Rome with their little or their big dogs, pure breeds or strays, everyone seems to have one and they take them everywhere, the train stations, the cafe's, buses... I wish it was like that in Greece too... And they are very elegant. Really beautiful people the Italians of all ages. Great sense of taste.

By seven o clock I was very tired. I thought I'd go home and start early tomorrow. Here is where I am staying. I tried to use the shower but it doesn't want to work for me. I kind of had a shower with a little bit of burning hot water and a little bit of cold water. I'm a little bit blonde and it's taking me some time to figure it out.

Anyway.

The fact is, I am glad I am here, I'm really happy to be walking around Rome with a really tight budget and I'm really happy to be going back to Greece!

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου